From: crtech@crtech.groups.io [mailto:crtech@crtech.groups.io] On Behalf Of Kevin Kidd
Sent: Wednesday, July 29, 2020 12:02 PM
To: crtech@crtech.groups.io
Subject: Re: [CRTech] RDS & New Vehicles

Greg,

RDS isa standard that every receiver manufacturer interprets differently.  The good thing about standards is that there are so many of them...

I have installed several RDS encoders and found that almost no two radios display it the same way.

If you are trying to use dynamic PS, there is even more madness.  My old 2007 Ram would dutifully display dynamic PS as well as scrolling or long RT messages via it's INFO button.  My new Ram scrolls the PS once and hangs forever on the last 8 characters of the too long PS.  My new Ram will show about the first 32 (IIRC) characters of a long or scrolling RT and offers no way to see the rest of it.

One of my clients using a PiraCZ encoder has a vehicle that displays the dynamic PS & RT perfectly and another vehicle displays only the RT...  Another shows the scrolling PS but nothing of the RT whether scrolling, long or short.

I would suggest putting test txt in the various fields to ID them on various radios and then play with your txt lengths and locations to find a good compromise (if one exists...).

Be aware that a lot of radios store the PS field until the PI changes...

I am sure that there are a million RDS war stories on the list...

Regards

Kevin C. Kidd, CSRE/AMD   -  WD4RAT

Lawrenceburg, TN

KK Broadcast Engineering   -   AM Ground Systems Company

On Wed, Jul 29, 2020 at 1:19 PM Greg S Myers <gm881@...> wrote:

I'm trying to figure out why older cars can view our RDS information on their radios with scrolling song and artist data, but newer vehicles with RDS don't show anything but this..... "Religious Music" and our wesbite, no scrolling info?

Am I missing something?

We use an Inovonics 1730 for RDS.    Thoughts???

Greg S. Myers

President & General Manager

Relevant Media Inc - KCFY 88.1 FM

KCFY is a non-profit, listener supported station

Join crtech@crtech.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.